Adverse Weather Conditions/Emergency Closure
In the event of adverse weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances where school cannot open, please do the following in this order:
- If you have internet access, check the school website www.ainderbysteepleschool.org and click on the ‘School Closure’ tab along the top of the page. If school is closed, the date will be shown with a closed message.
- Listen to the local radio stations, particularly the following which I will contact:
- BBC Radio York (103.7/104.3/95.5 FM) or check their website for the list of school closures http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/york/hi/default.stm
- Star Radio (103.5/102.3) where school closures are announced or check their
website www.thisisstar.co.uk where they have all schools listed as open/closed.
- If you do not have radio or internet access, please phone a friend with children at our school.
- Failing the above, phone school. If there is no answer by 8.45, school is closed.
We have fortunately only had to close on a few occasions, however currently the majority of our teachers do not live locally and therefore if weather is bad, we will be unable to open. I will endeavour to make a decision as soon as possible, depending on whether we have enough staff to cover the 4 classes and can provide school lunches. Any decision will be made by 8.30am at the latest.
If your children travel to school by car/bus and you feel unsafe to travel or conditions prevent you from travelling when school is open, please contact school so that we know where your child is.
We may have opened and the weather could take a dramatic turn for the worse. If we decide to close early for the safety of our children and staff, we will contact all parents by telephone. Do ensure we have the most recent contact information for you. If you are anxious about driving/collecting your child in adverse weather, please phone school to arrange to collect your child early.
When it is snowy weather we will take the children outside since they love playing in the snow. Please ensure children have appropriate clothing. They ideally need waterproof shoes/boots such as wellies and MUST have a change of shoes to wear indoors. A named clothes peg for pegging Wellington boots together is also very useful. All children need to bring slippers or their normal school shoes for indoor wear. Please ensure they also have named hats, gloves and scarves.